- You did the best you could! Guilt is a huge issue and while we all feel this when grieving, know that you did everything you possibly could!
- Allow yourself to grieve. It's o.k. to feel sadness and loss. Reach out to friends and families and have a small memorial for your companion animal as you would any cherished friend.
- Make a donation in the name of your companion animal to your local shelter or no-kill facility. Honoring your animal in this way is a wonderful way to express love.
- Don't force yourself to get another pet right away. Everyone has different time frames when they feel comfortable with this. Give yourself time to heal and trust your instincts when it comes time to adopting again.
- Start a support group. Start a phone chain or set up a blog...anything where you can vent and discuss your feelings. Writing in a journal is also helpful.
Written by: Shanon Chalmers